- You must login in order to post into this group.
EC-Earth climate simulations and contribution to CMIP5 and IPCC AR5
Members of the SeRC Climate Community have performed a large ensemble of historical and future climate simulations using EC-Earth as part of the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Stage 5 (CMIP5, http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5), coordinated by the World Climate Research Programme. In this exercise, current-generation climate models from institutions around the world are run under a standardised protocol to permit intercomparison of results under uniform conditions. The model output is stored and made publicly available through the Earth System Grid, a distributed data storage system. The SeRC Climate Community has collaborated with the National Supercomputing Centre (NSC) in Linköping to set up a node of the Earth System Grid (http://esg-dn1.nsc.liu.se/esgf-web-fe) to disseminate EC-Earth output to the international community. The SeRC Climate Community has also been very active in the scientific analysis and interpretation of the CMIP5 climate simulations. This work has fed into the Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a summary of the current state-of-the-art in climate science for use by global decision makers and a key vehicle for the transmission of climate information to society. A member of the SeRC Climate Community was a contributing author of AR5.
• Stocker, T.F., D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. Tignor, S.K. Allen, J. Boschung, A. Nauels, Y. Xia, V. Bex and P.M. Midgley(eds.) (2013) "IPCC, 2013: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change." Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
• Koenigk, Torben, Laurent Brodeau, Rune Grand Graversen, Johannes Karlsson, Gunilla Svensson, Michael Tjernström, Ulrika Willén, and Klaus Wyser. (2013) "Arctic climate change in 21st century CMIP5 simulations with EC-Earth." Climate Dynamics 40, 2719-2743.
• Koenigk, Torben, and Laurent Brodeau. (2013) "Ocean heat transport into the Arctic in the twentieth and twenty-first century in EC-Earth." Climate Dynamics 1-20.
• Bintanja, R., R. G. Graversen, and W. Hazeleger. (2011) "Arctic winter warming amplified by the thermal inversion and consequent low infrared cooling to space." Nature Geoscience 4 758-761.
• Sterl, Andreas, Richard Bintanja, Laurent Brodeau, Emily Gleeson, Torben Koenigk, Torben Schmith, Tido Semmler, Camiel Severijns, Klaus Wyser, and Shuting Yang. (2012) "A look at the ocean in the EC-Earth climate model." Climate Dynamics 39, 2631-2657.